Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Swapping Treasures


Recently my ravelry friend, Cindy (a.k.a. LubbockArmadillo), and I decided to conduct our own crocheted potholder swap. In this swap we decided to exchange three potholders each. On Monday, June 21st. I received Cindy's three potholders to me. They are pictured in the photo below.

I took this photo of Cindy's crocheted potholders with some "jewels" to emphasize the specialness of these handcrafted treasures.

Here is some of what I know about the potholders. Cindy developed the fish potholder pattern and has made several colorful fish, including a clown fish (like Nemo) from it. The main body of this fish is made from an ombre (variegated colors) of cotton in pastels. The burgandy, green and white potholder is likely another crocheted creation of Cindy's which ends with a scalloped edge and small loop/holder at the top. She used Elann Sonata for most of the construction of this potholder. Elann Sonata is cotton and of high quality. The potholder on the lower right is one that Cindy crocheted from a pattern that she translated from German where it was called Gehaehelte Topflappen. Topflappen translates into pot rag or oven cloth. Again Cindy used Elann Sonata to crochet this potholder. All three of the potholders are double-sided for maximum comfort and safety when handling hot pans and dishes.

When the packet of potholders arrived, I was so excited to examine and finger the three potholders that it was not until the next day I realized that Cindy had included the pattern on how to make the "topflappen." That same evening, after setting aside some knitting, I started the pattern. Here (above) is what I made using mostly 100 percent Tahki Cotton Classic yarns.


Below are photos of the three potholders I sent to Cindy for my part of our potholder swap. Cindy requested the "Tropical Sunset" potholder from my creations and, in addition, I sent her two others as surprises.













I chose to send a Green Eggs and Ham potholder because Cindy has young grandchildren and her projects reflect a fun sense of humor, as exemplified by her sock monkey potholders.

A blue, white, grey and wine color potholder was my third choice because I wanted to include something more traditional and textural.
I tried some different stitches on this one that I found in a pattern for crocheted squares called "Circle of Friends" developed by Priscilla Hewitt. I sent this pattern to Cindy who, it turns out, was working on a similar one at the time.


For Cindy's patterns and blog,
Click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment